Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Get the ball rolling

The countdown begins until the women's foil team moves to Budapest for the Olympic qualification process. Five women are going to use Budapest as our central training location and we will be traveling each weekend, for seven weekends in a row, to different cities for world cups. Each world cup will count towards the selection process for the US Olympic team.

I can't believe how things are coming down to the wire. Our flight to Budapest is on the 31st of this month! It really is 2008 and the Olympics are really this year.

This train of thought got me onto another train of thought a bit separate from this. I know a year from now that my life will be so different. For one thing I think (and I hope) I won't be living with my parents. My life of being a high school teenager again will be over. Se la vie-we must move out at some point and I probably overstayed my visit. I know I shouldn't be thinking so far ahead but I can't imagine life without fencing-that's something I am going to have to decide as well. Will this be the last run?

Anyways, I shouldn't be on that train of thought too long. It's this time and this moment that are the most important and the most exciting. It really is almost time to get this process going.

Before I end this short entry and head to sleep for my required 8 hours a night, I just like to say again how excited I am that things are coming together. Also, isn't it funny how the Olympic race is sort of running paralell to the presidential race? And after the speech I gave last week at the golf club, my father is convinced that I will run for president. No, thank you.

Hope everyone is having a great week! Remember, it's almost the weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure if I agree with you there Ms. Olympian about Marion Jones. If hse cheated to make an Olympic team then she is not an Olympian, some one else may have earned that title. How would you feel if there was a great performance enhancer and a competitor of yours was taking it. And that drug improved her preformance to the point that you did not make the 2000 team. Would you feel that other person was an "Olympian" or would you feel cheated?
My two cents.

spamchang said...

i couldn't live at home while going to grad school--plus it's a 25 min drive to campus from there, versus a 15 min walk from where i'm at now. totally understand.

enjoy the states before you have to leave :) how did that speech go anyway?